How to Replace the Temp Sensor on a Whirlpool Electric Duet Dryer
To maintain the desired drying temperature, your Whirlpool Duet dryer has a thermistor mounted in its exhaust duct. The thermistor acts as a temperature sensor, sending a signal to the thermostat to let it know when it’s time to cycle the heating element on or off. Replacing the thermistor is easy, and can save you a bundle on repair costs.
Unplug the Duet dryer from the wall outlet to prevent damage to the dryer and personal injury from electrical shocks.
Open the dryer door, and remove the lint screen. Unscrew the two hex-head screws at the bottom of the front panel of the dryer with a nut driver. Pull the panel out and down to remove it from the dryer.
Remove the hex-head screw holding the bracket to the bottom of the lint duct; the bracket will come off with the screw. Remove the two hex-head screws from the top of the lint duct. Pull the duct out of the dryer body.
Loosen and remove the two hex-head screws holding the thermistor to the exhaust duct. The thermistor is located to the right of the thermal fuse, directly over the center of the exhaust duct running to the back of the dryer. Unplug the two wires connected to the thermistor, and pull the thermistor out of the duct.
Place a new thermistor in the opening in the duct. Install and tighten the two hex-head screws. Slide the wire connectors onto the terminals on the thermistor.
Hold the lint duct in position, and install the two hex-head screws in the top of it. Tighten the screws securely. Place the bracket over the bottom edge of the lint duct. Align the screw hole in the bracket with the hole in the blower assembly. Tighten the screw until the bracket holds the bottom of the lint duct securely.
Place the bottom panel on the dryer, top edge first. Lift up on the panel, and swing the bottom of the panel back against the dryer. Insert and tighten the two hex-head screws. Insert the lint screen and close the door of the dryer.
- While you have the lint duct apart, it’s a good time to vacuum out any lint that has collected in the duct and on the blower.
- Never try to service or repair an appliance that is plugged in. You could be electrocuted or cause permanent damage to the appliance.
David Young has written for the website for the Save Darfur Coalition and is currently writing articles for various other websites. Young holds a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy from Western Carolina University.
- Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images