- Stop solicitors before they go into their spiel. Chances are it’s a lengthy sales pitch. If you already know you’re not interested, make it clear immediately so that they’re not wasting their time and energy, and they can move on to the next house. If there’s no natural pause for you to express yourself after the introductions, simply say, “I’m sorry to interrupt you, but I already know I’m not interested and I don’t want to waste your time.”
- Tell the truth to politely turn away solicitors. If you’re not interested in spending extra money right now, say so with something like “Financially, I’m not in a position to do something like that today, or anytime in the in the near future.” If you’re in a hurry, say so with something like, “I don’t have even an extra minute to talk or listen right now.” If what they’re soliciting offends you, say so with something like “I don’t agree with that proposition, so I cannot sign the petition” or “You have your religious beliefs and I have mine. Nothing either of us says today is going to change that.”
- Explain that that the only way you’ll consider their solicitation is if they leave you some literature for you to review with the understanding that you’ll contact them if you’re interested.
- Thank them for their time if you have listened to the entire spiel and only then realized that you’re not interested. Say something like, “That sounds like a good opportunity for someone, but not me for reasons I’m not going to get into right now. You’re obviously very passionate about what you’re doing and I wish you the best of luck with it.”
- Take charge of the situation to politely turn away solicitors. You can be firm while still being friendly. Some solicitors are going to leave in a huff no matter what, but those who don’t will appreciate the respect you showed them with polite, straightforward honesty.
How to Politely Turn Away Solicitors
The simplest way to politely turn away solicitors is obvious – don’t answer the door. Unfortunately, that’s a lesson learned too late sometimes, as when you’re expecting a friend or special delivery only to discover an uninvited “guest” at your door. So here’s how to politely turn away solicitors when avoiding them is not an option.
- How to Do it Yourself Install Solar Panels DIY
- The Advantages of Neighborhood Watch Programs
- How to Word a Garage Sale Advertisement
- How to Ignite an Electric Pilot on a Stove
- How to Get Rid of Old Computers
- How to Check Home Phone Messages
- How to Turn on Electricity With DTE
- How to Un-Enroll From the Equal Payment Plan for Duke Energy
- Maintain Your Mod Aesthetic with DIY Stained and Painted Nutcrackers
- How Much Do Lights Affect an Electric Bill?
- How to Not Spend Money
- How to Remove My Phone Number From a Call List
- The Best Questions to Ask a Roofing Contractor
- How to Apply for a Government Grant to Rebuild a Termite Eaten Home