How to Make a Motor More Powerful
Improving the power output from a motor may be as easy as adding a secondary device or wiring it for a different voltage to give it that little extra boost. Not a hard process, but you will need some basic electrical knowledge before you begin.
- Remove all electrical power form the motor you are going to be working on. Check to see if the voltage can be changed from 120-volt to 240-volt operation. If this is possible the higher voltage wiring will give that motor a boost upon starting power--much more in fact than the lower voltage. The motor will also run more efficiently.
- Replacing the motors drive pulley to a smaller size will increase the torque value of any driven device. The motor drive output may run slower with the smaller the pulley but the power output will increase. You may have to use a wheel puller to remove the old pulley. Do not forget to look for Allen screws that are attaching the pulley to the motor shaft.
- Attach a gearbox as this will greatly increase the amount of power a motor will output. This may take some calculation for the desired output torque you are wanting to achieve. Vendors of gearboxes provide a multitude of charts for configuring the proper gearboxes for the output power desired.
- Do the math to figure out ratios. Calculating proper speed and torque ratios are relatively easy. Simply measure the diameter of the drive pulley and the diameter of the driven pulley. Divide the driven size, which is generally larger, by the driver pulley. This number will be the gear ratio. An example is the driven pulley of 6 inches in diameter is divided by the driver pulley of 2 inches. The resultant ratio is three to one.
Things You Will Need
- Wire pliers
- Screwdrivers, Phillips and slotted
- Various pulleys
- Proper sized drive belts
- Gearbox of various ratios
- Proper wheel pulling device
- Allen wrenches
- Consult the manufacturers' charts and advice before installing any gearbox or specialized pulley system. Many manufacturers sell kits with matched pulleys for increasing torque on various applications. Follow all manufacturers' instructions when installing any power device.