How to Clean Mold on Windows
Mold spores float around in the air and household dust, but mold can only grow in an area with water or air moisture. Mold will commonly form on windows in a humid environment or if water is left to sit on the windows long enough for mold to grow. Inside a house, mold can cause allergic reactions with common symptoms including skin rash, sneezing, and a runny nose. You should clean mold as soon as you see it growing and control air moisture to prevent it from growing in the future.
In a large container or bucket, mix one part chlorine bleach with three parts water. You can use this homemade solution to clean mold or a regular household cleaner. Do not mix bleach with any household cleaner. Pour the bleach solution into a spray bottle.
Put on the rubber gloves, mask, and goggles before going near the mold. Mold can cause an allergic reaction.
Spray the solution onto the mold starting at the top and working your way down. Use paper towels to clean up the mold after you spray the solution. Dispose of the paper towels immediately.
Use a clean, damp paper towel to rinse the area after you have removed all mold, then spray the bleach solution on the area again. Let the solution sit for 15 minutes, then wipe the area clean with a clean, damp towel.
Use a HEPA vacuum on the affected area once the area has dried. The HEPA will remove all remaining mold fragments. Vacuum the area slowly for at least one minute per square foot. Immediately dispose of the vacuum bag in the trash.
- Use a dehumidifier in the room after you are finished to remove humidity that allows mold to grow. Wash the clothing worn when cleaning the mold separately to avoid contaminating other clothes.
Vanessa Padgalskas was born and raised in Spokane, Wash., and currently resides in Portland, Ore. Padgalskas graduated from American University in 2007 with degrees in international studies and economics. She holds a law degree from Lewis and Clark Law School.