- Wash the brick to eliminate dirt, dust, mold and loose brick. It is a good idea to use a pressure washer or power vacuum. Use a mild soap to ensure you remove all substances from the brick. Hold the pressure washer at a safe distance to make certain you do not damage the mortar or worsen existing cracks.
- Seal all cracks, holes or openings. Caulk around windows and doors and repair the mortar. This will prevent water from getting under the paint and chipping it. This will also help to prevent mold and wood rot. If there are any damaged areas of mortar, repair them with premixed mortar or powdered mortar. Prime your brick. Priming will help the quality of the paint job appearance. Use acrylic masonry or high quality exterior primer for best results. Ensure you prime all areas for a high quality finish.
- Select your paint color and paint the house. When choosing a color, consider the other exterior finishes on the house, such as shutters or trim color. Find a color that will accent those accessories for a polished look. Painting brick can be challenging, so you may want to spray paint and follow up with brush paint. Look for exterior brick paint, which is a thicker base paint. Be prepared to apply two or three coats for sufficient coverage.
How to Cover Brick Exterior
Brick homes are a staple of modern and classic construction. If you are looking to update your home, or to give the exterior a face-lift, painting may be the perfect option for you. Painting your exterior brick is also a great way to show off your design flare. You must prepare the surface before painting, to ensure proper coating. With proper prep work, you may eliminate the necessity for annual upkeep.
Things You Will Need
- How to Remove Mortar From Brick Pavers
- How to Measure a Chain-link Fence for Paint
- How to Paint a Fire Pit
- What Kind of Paint Would You Use on Paver Stones?
- How to Paint a Brick Fireplace With Clear Sealer
- DIY Lawn Edging
- How to Clean & Pressure Wash Stucco
- How to Repair a Bleach Mark on a Laminate Countertop
- How to Seal Stucco
- How to Repaint a Mobile Home
- How to Color Old Bricks
- How to Remove Paint With Sandpaper
- How to Clean Mold From a Brick Patio
- Brick Stain Removal