- Put on protective clothing, goggles, gloves and a breathing mask to protect you from airborne particles of the sealant.
- Pour the sealant into the reservoir of the garden sprayer and cap it.
- Pump the sprayer's pressurized spray lever to create pressure within the mechanism.
- Spray the sealant over the fence, working in even strokes with the grain of the wood.
- Brush over the fence with a paint brush to work the sealant into the wood.
How to Waterproof a New Wood Fence
When Tom Sawyer's aunt wanted to preserve her fence, she had Tom paint it with a coat of whitewash. Today she might have had him use a fencing preservative or water seal product. Although today's pressure treated lumber is more hearty than what Tom's aunt would have used, a coat of waterproof sealant helps preserve the wood's color by preventing water from soaking into the wood like a sponge. A waterproof sealing agent can also help prevent wood from cracking and splitting.