- Slice the lemon into wedges. Cut it in half and then in half again.
- Pour the coarse salt into a bowl. Cover the bottom of the bowl, and fill it about a third of the way up the sides.
- Scrub the iron water stains with the lemon dipped in salt. Push the lemon wedge into the bowl of salt. The salt will stick to the wedge. Use the wedge to scrub the brown stains right off any surface, and the salt will not scratch delicate surfaces. Use the toothbrush if necessary to help remove the brown marks.
- Tackle tough stains with an overnight treatment. If you cannot scrub the iron water stains off, pour a pile of salt on top of the stain, and squeeze a lemon wedge over it so that the salt is saturated. Leave it there for 24 hours. You will see the rust leaching off the stained surface and into the salt. After the 24 hours are over, scrub the area with the toothbrush to get any remnants of the stain off the surface.
- Wipe down the surface with a clean, damp rag. This will prevent the area from becoming sticky. To delay new iron stains from forming, dry the counter after you have wiped it down.
How to Remove Iron Water Stains
Water with high iron content often leads to brown stains on a variety of surfaces, such as toilet bowls, sinks and countertops. These brown streaks are actually rust that has formed on top of the iron deposits left by the water. You can remove them using a natural, green remedy that will cleanly remove the stains without damaging the surfaces.
Things You Will Need
- How to Get Rid of Farm Pond Algae Growth
- How to Get Rid of Dye Bleeds From a Quilt
- How to Remove Chocolate Stains from a Tablecloth
- What to Do If the Dishes in a Dishwasher Turn Brown?
- How to Remove Coffee Cup Rings
- How to Remove Rust From an Axe
- How to Treat Rusty Water Taps
- How to Remove Rust Stains From Diamond Brite
- How to Remove Blue Stains From Rugs & Linoleum
- How to Remove Black Scorch From Pans
- How to Get Mustard Out of Denim
- How to Remove Rust From Slate Tiles
- How to Get Iron Out of Laundry From Well Water
- How to Get Tarnish Off Brass