- Locate the water line at a point near your home's foundation.
- Use your shovel to carefully clear an area around the incoming line (at least 6 inches clearance around the pipe when done) to allow complete access to an 8-inch or larger length of exposed pipe.
- Clean the pipe using water and sandpaper for a tight fit.
- Clamp the magnet (using straps, carriage bolts or epoxy as included with the clamp housing) tightly around the pipe.
- Refill the excavation, being careful to pack earth tightly under the pipe, so the water line is not stressed in the future.
Things You Will Need
- Strong permanent magnet in pipe-clamp housing
- Wet-and-dry sandpaper
- If you choose to use an electromagnet rather than a permanent magnet, add a water-resistant sealing compound around the wire connection to the magnet housing and a flexible conduit to protect the electric line.