- Put on rubber gloves and safety goggles.
- Mix the dish detergent and salt in a mixing bowl. Add just enough warm water to make a paste-like substance.
- Apply the paste to the hearth and rub it in with your fingers or scrub it into the surface with a scrub brush. Let the creamy solution stand for about 10 minutes.
- Scrub it off with a scrub brush and plain warm water. Dry the hearth with a soft towel when you are finished.
Things You Will Need
- Rubber gloves
- Safety goggles
- 1 oz. dish detergent
- 1 oz. table salt
- Scrub brush
- Soft towel
- You may want to protect carpet or outlying areas of the floor near the hearth by placing towels around the edges of the fireplace area. This can help prevent any spilled or splattered solution from causing discoloration or stains.