- Clean off the closet flange area. Scrape up any old putty with the putty knife and clean any remnants of previous wax rings with a rag and alcohol. Clear away any dirt or construction debris to give the toilet a solid foundation.
- Install the closet flange bolts. Insert the T shaped end of the bolt into the slot on the closet flange. Turn the bolt so that the T locks it in place in the slot.
- Slip the flange spacer over the closet flange and the bolts.
- Press the wax ring into place on top of the spacer.
- Turn the toilet bowl over. Roll out a thin strip of plumber's putty. Press this into place along the bottom of the bowl. Turn the toilet bowl back over but hold it up so that the putty doesn't rub against the floor. Have a friend or assistant help you if it is heavy.
- Guide the toilet bowl so that it fits over the flange, aligning the outlet in the bottom of the bowl with the sewer inlet in the flange, while, at the same time, ensuring that the flange bolts poke up through the holes in the base of the toilet.
- Press the bowl firmly against the floor to seal.
- Slip the plastic and metal washers over the flange bolts. Thread on the flange nuts and tighten with the wrench.
Things You Will Need
- Flange spacer
- Putty knife
- Flange bolts (2)
- Plumber's putty
- Toilet bowl
- Wax ring
- Allow the wax ring to come to room temperature to make it more pliable before using.