Troubleshooting a Briggs & Stratton Generator
A generator you use for your home or at a job site to power equipment or appliances can come equipped with a Briggs and Stratton engine. When problems occur with the generator, you need to troubleshoot to correct the problem. Problems that can occur with a Briggs and Stratton generator include getting no power when the engine is running and having the generator shut down while it is being used.
No Power When Generator Is Running
Check the circuit breaker on the generator, and see if it has tripped. Reset or turn the circuit breaker back on, and see if power or electricity now comes from the unit.
Examine the extension cord you are using with the generator. The cord could have a poor connection or a short. It could also be bad or defective. Replace the extension cord, and see if the problem has been corrected.
Check and see if the power tool or device connected to the generator is bad. Connect another power tool or device to the generator to see it works correctly.
Generator That Shuts Down or Runs Rough
Open the cap to the fuel tank, and see if the generator has run out of gas. Refill the generator with gas, and restart the engine.
Pull out the dipstick, and check the level of the oil. If the oil level is below the "Full" line, you need to add more oil.
Move the generator to a level surface if it is sitting at an angle. The engine will run better when it is level on ground.
- Overloading the generator with too many devices will cause it to work harder and have less power than normal.
Cameron Easey has over 15 years customer service experience, with eight of those years in the insurance industry. He has earned various designations from organizations like the Insurance Institute of America and LOMA. Easey earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in political science and history from Western Michigan University.
- How to Hook Up a Log Splitter to My Tractor
- How do I Troubleshoot a Kohler 15HP Engine That Won't Start?
- Kipor Generator Troubleshooting
- How Do I Run a Diagnostic Test on My Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer?
- How to Check an Air Conditioning Compressor for a Short Circuit
- How to Convert a Coleman Powermate 6250 Generator to a Propane Home Generator