- Turn off the water supply for the bathtub. How this is done depends on how the plumbing in your house is set up. In newer homes, there is usually a cutoff valve for the bathtub located somewhere in the bathroom. Rotate the knobs clockwise to turn off the water supply for the tub. In older homes, you will have to locate the water utility box, usually near the street curb somewhere outside. These knobs are a bit harder to turn; use an adjustable wrench to turn the knob to the off position.
- Remove the screw cover on the faucet handle by prying it off with a flat-head screwdriver. Remove the faucet screw with a Phillips screwdriver. Pull off the faucet handle.
- Use the adjustable wrench to remove the packing nut. This is the first hexagonal nut you will see on the valve body. Turn counterclockwise to remove.
- Remove the valve stem from the valve socket by turning counterclockwise with the adjustable wrench. Clean out any gunk or calcium buildup from the valve socket.
- Wrap the threads of the replacement valve stem with plumber's tape. Insert the stem into the socket. Tighten with the wrench.
- Replace the packing nut. Tighten with the wrench.
- Slip the faucet knob over the end of the valve stem. Insert and tighten the faucet screw. Press the screw cover back into place.
- Turn the water supply back on. Check for proper operation.
How to Replace a Bathtub Valve
The bathtub valve controls the flow of water into your tub, giving you enough water for a relaxing soak or just enough to rinse off a dirty shoe or boot. The valve is connected to the tub faucet, so that when you turn the faucet, it rotates the valve, which opens or closes a washer to allow water into the tub faucet tap. Sometimes these bathtub valves can leak or otherwise malfunction. In that case, you'll want to replace your bathtub valve.
Things You Will Need
- Turning off the main water supply shuts off water to the entire house.
- How to Replace a Shower Faucet Washer
- How to Repair Leaking Kitchen Faucets With One Handle
- How Do I Repair a Leaky Washer Faucet?
- Mobile Home Faucet Repair
- How to Replace a Shower Head & Faucet
- How to Fix a Bathroom Faucet Drip
- How to Take Knobs Off of a Shower
- How Do I Repair a Delta Monitor 1700 Faucet?
- How to Replace a Moen Shower Valve Cartridge
- How to Stop a Leak in the Bathtub Faucet
- How to Remove a Moen Dialcet
- How to Turn Off a Water Valve
- How to Fix the Leak From the Faucet & Handles
- How to Repair the Outdoor Faucet When the Water Comes Out the Top