- Download Google Earth, the popular virtual globe program, and use its elevation feature. In the 3D viewer, the elevation of the point directly under the cursor is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen in terrain view mode. To change between feet or meters in the elevation display, go to "Options" under the Tools menu and select "3D View" before clicking on the "Show Elevation" radio buttons.
- Use Daft Logic's Find Altitude script for Google Maps. This is an online application that will tell you the elevation of any point on the earth, accurate within a meter's height, at a single mouse-click. It's a free service, so, while Find Altitude doesn't come anywhere near a surveyor's level of accuracy, it's a good alternative.
- Try the National Map online Seamless Server. This is another online application, run by the U.S. government. It's much more accurate than Daft Logic's tool, though somewhat more complicated to use. The user interface is reminiscent of the internet of the late 90s, but it's both functional and extremely precise.
How to Find Elevation
Knowing the elevation of your home is a fun fact and gives you a bit of geological credibility. If you live near the sea or in a floodplain, however, this tidbit of knowledge can save you thousands of dollars--or even your life. Your flood insurance documentation might tell you your height above sea level, but this information is often imprecise. If you're wondering about property you're looking to purchase, rather than your current home, this solution won't work either. Fortunately, there are other options.
- How to Use Online Interior Design Tools for Free Interior Design Ideas
- Tile Laying Courses
- How to Find Flood Zones in Lubbock, Texas
- Distributors for Sears Tools
- How to Calculate an Archway
- How to Calibrate a Miller Welding Machine
- How do I Finance Honda Generators?
- How to Read a Flood Map
- How Do I Change the Aspect in a DirecTV Receiver?
- InFocus W240 Specifications
- How to Report the Lights Out on a Radio Station Tower
- How to Convert Revit to Dwg and Dwt
- How to Design a Staircase Online
- How to Design Your Own House With Free Software