How to Clean & Refresh Microfiber Furniture
If you have furniture made from genuine microfiber, it is easy to clean and maintain. The fabrics made from microfiber are soft because microfiber is extremely fine ... 10 times finer than silk. You can clean and refresh your microfiber furniture with an upholstery brush and a simple formula of mild soap and water. Microfiber is not as absorbent as other fabrics used for furniture, such as wool, giving it a resistance to water stains and discoloration. Although there are products designed specifically for microfiber furniture, they usually are not necessary for regular cleanings.
- Brush away lint or animal hair using an upholstery brush. This will remove a majority of lint or hair and even dust from your furniture. Do this on a regular basis to keep your furniture clean.
- Use the hose attachment of a vacuum to pick up any remaining lint or hair. Vacuuming will also remove any dirt deep within the furniture crevices.
- Make a solution of 1 cup warm water and 1 tsp. mild, colorless dishsoap.
- Dip a soft rag into the solution, wring the rag out and wipe away any stains or marks found on the furniture. Allow the furniture to air dry.
- Steam clean your microfiber furniture occasionally to keep it refreshed. If you do not own a steam cleaner, rent one at a home improvement store or hire a professional.
Things You Will Need
- Upholstery brush
- Vacuum with attachments
- Mild, colorless liquid dishsoap
- Soft rag
- Steam cleaner
- Microfiber is sensitive to heat. Keep your microfiber furniture away from direct sunlight and heat sources to avoid damaging the fibers.
- Do not use an abrasive scrub brush on microfiber as it can cause damage.