Put on protecting clothing such as goggles, gloves and a dust mask to prevent yourself from inhaling mold spores or touching harsh chemicals.
Throw away cloth or furniture pieces that are completely covered in mold and that show signs of decay. Mold survives by eating organic matter such as wood or cotton.
Mix 1 cup bleach with 1 gallon of water in a large bucket.
Dip a sponge into the mixture and apply it to the areas with dusty mold.
Let the solution sit on the mold for at least 20 minutes. Let it sit longer if the mold growth is extensive. This will loosen the mold's grip in the areas you're cleaning.
Wipe up as much of the mold as possible with paper towels. Immediately throw the paper towels away to prevent them from spreading mold to the rest of the house.
Scrub any areas of mold that are still attached to the walls, floors or ceiling.
Mist the areas with clear water to rinse away the solution and mold spores.
Dry the area completely with paper towels.