How to Measure a Queen Size Mattress in Inches
Queen size mattresses are a size larger than full mattresses, which generally measure 53 inches by 75 inches, and king size mattresses, which generally measure 76 inches by 80 inches. Even though the sizes are standard, manufacturing differences can make each queen mattress can make for up to a half-inch disparity in length or width. In addition to its length and width, it is also helpful to know the depth of the mattress, since there is no standard depth for mattresses.
- Place the end of the measuring tape at the head of the mattress. Have someone hold it in place, or find something heavy to hold it down. Unroll the tape until you reach the foot of the mattress and make your measurement. For United States queen sized beds, this should equal approximately 80 inches long.
- Perform the same action for the width, measuring from one side of the mattress to the other. For United States queens sized beds, this should equal approximately 60 inches long.
- Pick one of the four corners of the bed and place the end of your measuring tape at the bottom of the corner. Unroll the tape and make your measurement at the top of the corner to get the depth of the bed.
Things You Will Need
- Measuring tape
- Outside of North America and Australia, the dimensions for a queens sized bed may be a little different. In most of Europe, for example, the beds are 3 inches wider and 1 inch shorter.
- There are also two non-standard queen sized mattresses. Olympic-size mattresses are six inches wider than normal queen mattresses and split queen mattresses are 30 inches by 80 inches, since it takes two mattresses to make a complete queen bed.