- Open and set up a tall ladder next to the house so you can reach the gutters without stretching.
- Climb up the ladder with the bucket and gutter scoop, if you are using one.
- Scoop the dirt and debris from the gutters into the bucket with your hands or gutter scoop. Once the bucket is full, climb down the ladder and dump the debris away from your home, preferably in a green waste can.
- Move the ladder farther down the side of the house to clean another part of the gutter.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each section of the gutter until all the gutters are cleared of debris.
- Grab the hose and gutter brush, then climb back up the ladder. Scrub the sides of the gutters with the gutter brush to remove the slimy buildup. Use the hose to rinse the gutters so the slime rinses away and the water runs freely through and down them as intended. Scrub and rinse sections to keep from contaminating already-cleaned areas.
Things You Will Need
- Tall ladder
- Long water hose
- Gutter brush
- Gutter scoop (optional)
- Wear gloves for this project.
- Have someone at the bottom of the ladder to "spot" you, or ensure the stability of the ladder is not at risk while you clean the gutters.
- Using scaffolding is a safer alternative to a tall ladder and can provide a fast process. However, scaffolding can be time-consuming to set up and move safely.