- Stand on the outside of the garage and either push the automatic garage door button to close or pull the garage door down.
- Insert the garage door key into the garage door deadbolt lock and turn to the right to lock the garage.
- Pull up on the garage door to ensure it is locked.
- Turn on your security system, if you have one, for added security.
Things You Will Need
- Garage door key
- If you want to update the locks on your garage door, you may want to consider electronic locks or keyless entry locks which cannot be picked. These devices can be expensive, but are worth it if you can afford them.
- If you plan to purchase and install a deadbolt on your garage door you may want to stay away from the spring bolt type locks because the spring bolts can be easily opened with slight pressure on the cylinder.