Put on an N-95 respirator according to the instructions that came with the respirator.
Wear safety gear such as rubber boots, safety goggles and latex gloves. Use latex gloves. If you are allergic to latex gloves, you can purchase non-latex gloves.
Remove all porous materials that have been contaminated from your home. Porous materials are items such as drywall, paper, carpet and furniture. Discard any contaminated cloth materials that you cannot wash with hot water.
Open windows and doors to ventilate the area.
Add 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon water in a large bucket. Do not mix bleach with other cleaning products as a chemical reaction could occur and this can be extremely dangerous.
Fill the other large bucket with clean water. You will need to use this water to rinse the hard surfaces after cleaning with the bleach and water solution.
Clean all smooth, non-porous surfaces, like stoves, countertops, tile floors, bathtubs and showers, with the bleach and water solution and a cloth. Scrub rough surfaces such as grout with a brush, as scrubbing will help lift the mold from the rough surface. Wipe with clean water when finished.
Mix the bleach and water solution in a mop bucket and mop the floors thoroughly. While mopping, you should be changing the bleach and water solution and rinsing the mop in the mop bucket often to ensure that the mold is picked up and removed from the floor. Let the bleach and water solution remain on the floor for 15 minutes.
Rinse the floor. Fill a mop bucket with clean water and mop the floor to remove the bleach and water solution.
Discard the scrub brush, respirator and gloves. Wash buckets, safety goggles, rubber boots, cleaning cloths and mop in hot water.
Things You Will Need
- N-95 respirator
- Rubber boots
- Safety goggles
- Latex or non-latex gloves
- 2 Large buckets
- Cleaning cloths
- Scrub brush
- Mop bucket
- You can purchase an N-95 respirator in most home improvement stores or safety supply stores.