- Strip the insulation from the last 3/4 inch of all three wires in the appliance's power cord. Twist the bare end of each wire to pack the individual strands of each wire together.
- Remove the two screws on the outside of the plug with a screwdriver. Remove the cover on the plug to expose the terminal screws inside. Loosen all three terminal screws with the screwdriver.
- Wrap the bare end of the black wire around the black terminal screw. Tighten the screw to hold the wire in place.
- Wrap the bare end of the green wire around the green terminal screw. Tighten the screw to hold the wire in place.
- Wrap the remaining wire around the remaining terminal screw. This wire and terminal screw may be red, white or blue. Tighten the screw to hold the wire in place.
- Place the cover back on the plug and align the holes on the cover with the holes on the plug. Place the screws into the holes and tighten them with the screwdriver. You may now put the plug into the outlet.
How to Hook Up a 3 Wire 220 Plug
Many appliances use a 2-prong plug, which provides 110 to 120 volts to the appliance. Large appliances, such as clothes dryers, require a plug with three or four prongs, which provide 220 to 240 volts. Older appliances of this type may not require a neutral wire and therefore use a plug with only three prongs. Most new dryers and similar appliances require a neutral wire and use a plug with four prongs. You may need to install a 3-prong plug on an older appliance because of wear or damage.
Things You Will Need
- How to Wire a Char-Broil Ignitor
- How to Remove Colors That Bled Onto Whites
- How to Remove White Spots From Hardwood Floors
- How to Wire a Plug & Light
- How to Set the Time on a Golden Hour Clock
- How to Turn a Gas Oven Off
- How to Remove Bronze Tarnish and Pitting
- How to Measure a Chain-link Fence for Paint
- How to Remove Yellow Stains From Whites
- How to Replace a Bryant Circuit Breaker
- How to Clean a Stale Washing Machine
- How to Remove Burn Stains From Stainless Steel Pots
- How to Replace a Washing Machine Outlet Box
- How to Thaw a Steak in a Toaster Oven