- Place a remodeling ceiling box on the drywall at the location of the light fixture and draw the outline of the back of the box with a pencil. Locate the fixture between a pair of rafters, not directly below one.
- Place the pointed end of a drywall saw on the line and poke it through the drywall. Cut along the outline to make a hole.
- Pull the electrical cable that needed for the connection out of the hole and feed it through one of the self-clamping openings on the back of the electrical box. Pull through enough slack to make connections.
- Push the box into the hole until the edge is flush with the surface of the drywall. Turn the screws on the front of the box with a screwdriver until the anchors connected to them behind the box hook onto the drywall. Pull the box slightly toward you to engage the anchors with the back of the drywall and tighten the screws to secure the box to the drywall.
- Make the electrical connections and hang the light fixture from the box using the adapter plate, screws and other supplies that came with the fixture.
Things You Will Need
- Remodeling electrical box
- Drywall saw
- If the light weighs more than 5 pounds, nail an electrical box to a rafter to support it. If it weighs more than 50 pounds, install an additional support mechanism.