- Inspect the bottom of your window air conditioner for the type of drain installed. Some air conditioners will have a standard hose adapter so you can thread the hose in place. Others have a ribbed plastic shaft designed for sliding the hose in place.
- Thread a water hose onto the hose adapter, or cut the hose adapter off the hose with a utility knife. Slide a band clamp onto the hose, and then slide the hose onto the ribbed plastic shaft. Slide the band clamp over the plastic shaft and tighten it with a screwdriver.
- Unroll the hose so the end of the hose goes downhill. The land around your home is graded to route water away from the house. For example, if the front of your house is the lowest point of your yard and the air conditioner is mounted to a window on the side of the house, place the hose so the end faces the front of your home.
- Cut the hose 1 foot past the corner of the house. Cutting the hose at this location ensures that the water condensing from the air conditioner extends past the home and will not drain into the ground directly next to your foundation.
How to Install an Air Conditioner Drip Line
Your air conditioner unit should have a drain line connected to it to drain condensation away from your home. Central HVAC air conditioners have built-in drainage systems to ensure the water condensation in the air conditioner does not leak into your home. Window air conditioners all have built-in ports but almost never have a drip line connected to them. This can cause your windowsill to rot out and could cause foundation damage if the water constantly pools on the ground below the window.
- How to Install Culvert Pipe
- How to Clean Exterior Wood Siding
- The Average Cost of Gutter Replacement
- How to Fix an Air Compressor Hose
- How to Splice a Garden Hose
- How to Seal a Brick House to Prevent Mold, Mildew, and Moisture
- Should Water Drain Into the Ground From a Gutter?
- Installation of In-Line Water Pumps
- Drainage Ideas for Downspouts
- How to Install an Underground Storm Drainage System in Residential West Virginia
- How to Trim Windows With Vinyl Siding
- What Size Is a Dishwasher Drain?
- How to Install a Rainwater Harvester
- DIY Basement Trough System to Divert Water