How to Fix a Leaky Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Dispenser
Installing your Whirlpool refrigerator in the kitchen or putting in a filter cartridge can cause the water dispenser to leak while the dispenser is not in use, and requires flushing the refrigerator's water system. A flush of the water system clears out buildup, air and other deposits that prevent proper functioning of your water dispenser. Contact the Whirlpool customer service line if the the water leak continues, as your appliance may require professional repair.
Place the container underneath the water dispenser, and push the dispenser lever to begin filling the container.
Depress and hold the dispenser lever for five seconds and release it. Wait five seconds after releasing the dispenser lever, and hold the dispenser lever down again for five seconds.
Repeat the push and release process until the container is filled with 3 gallons of water.
Pour the container's water into the sink after the flushing process is finished.
Flush the water system after installing a new filter cartridge, putting the refrigerator into vacation mode. Also, flush the system if the refrigerator was recently installed in your kitchen.
- A few drops of water from the water dispenser is normal after use and does not require flushing the water system.
- Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images
- How to Reset a Sears Refrigerator
- How to Fix a Punctured Refrigerator
- How Do I Change My Coleman Hot Tub From Economy Mode to Standard?
- How to Check a Maytag Refrigerator Thermostat
- How to Reset a Refrigerator's Defrost Control on a GE Monogram
- How to Fix a KitchenAid Refrigerator Water Dispenser Leak