- Remove the "U" bolt or loosen the clamp bolt on the wheel for the bottom of the gate. Place the "U" bolt over, or set the clamp on the wheel, onto the bottom pipe at one end of the gate. Replace and tighten the nuts on the "U" bolt or tighten the clamp bolt on the wheel.
- Loosen the clamp bolt and nut on the gate side of the gate latch. Position this part of the gate latch to the side pipe on the gate at the end where the bottom wheel is mounted. Set the latch part at a comfortable height and tighten the clamp bolt.
- Loosen the clamp bolts and nuts on the two rear guide wheels. On the opposite end from where the latched is installed on the gate, attach the rear wheels at the top and bottom of the side pipe of the gate. Align the wheels so they are parallel to the gate itself. Measure the distance from the axle of the bottom guide wheel to the axle of the top guide wheel.
- Remove the nuts from the "U" bolts on six of the pipe track brackets.
- Position a pipe track bracket on a gate post about 6 inches above the ground line. Place the "U" bolt around the gate post and attach and tighten the nuts on the "U" bolt to fasten the pipe track bracket to the post. Position another track bracket on the gate post above the first bracket and the same distance as the measurement from one guide wheel to the other. Attach that bracket with the "U" bolt.
- Insert a pipe section into the bottom track bracket. Place another track bracket on the other end of the pipe. Position that track bracket on the line post next to the gate post along the fence. Attach the bracket to the post about 6 inches from the ground with the "U" bolt and nuts. Repeat this step with another section of pipe and a third track bracket.
- Insert a pipe section into the first top track bracket. Place another track bracket on the other end of the pipe. Position this bracket on the first line post above the bottom bracket and at the same distance as the measurement from one guide wheel to the other. Attach the bracket to the post with the "U" bolt and nuts. Repeat this step with the last section of pipe and the last track bracket.
- Set the gate on edge with the bottom wheels at one end of the gate resting on the ground. Position the side of the gate with the guide wheels against the side of the fence with the tracks. Lift the fence up and set the guide wheels onto the pipe tracks. Roll the gate back, aligning the gate to the side of the fence. Roll the gate closed.
- Attach the fence side of the gate latch to the gate post to align with the gate side of the latch using two tension bands around the gate post and two nuts and bolts.
Things You Will Need
- Measuring tape
- Socket wrench set
- Adjustable wrench
- The gate used for a sliding gate in a chain-link fence must be at least 2 feet longer than the opening it will cover. This extra length keeps the rear guide wheels properly in place on the pipe track when the gate is closed.