The Best Way to Take Care of Hardwood Floors
Hardwood floors provide beautiful functionality to a home and are used in many different rooms. Wood flooring can be low-maintenance when cared for properly. The best way to take care of hardwood floors is to clean them regularly with cleaners appropriate for the wood. Also protect the floor from anything that may cause scratching or other damage.
Vacuum your floor, as needed, to remove debris and dirt particles that can scratch the wood. Use a vacuum that doesn't have sharp metal edges on the bottom to avoid scratching the surface. Vacuums with floor attachments are best for hardwood flooring.
Dampen a clean cloth with wood floor cleaner especially designed for the type of wood you have. Wipe down the surface with the clean cloth until the entire floor is clean. Allow the hardwood to air dry completely.
Protect high-traffic areas with throw rugs and hallway runners. Place non-skid rug pads beneath each rug to prevent bunching up or household accidents due to slippery rugs.
Put felt floor protectors on the bottom of furniture legs. These allow you to move chairs and other furniture across the floor without leaving scuffs and scratches behind.
- Use dust mops with microfiber mop heads for daily cleaning.
- Avoid using vinegar on hardwood floors as it can damage the wood over time and leave a film.
- There's no need to wax wood floors that are already finished. If you have older, unfinished floors, consult a flooring specialist to help with waxing or refinishing.
Mary Ylisela is a former teacher with a Bachelor of Arts in elementary education and mathematics. She has been a writer since 1996, specializing in business, fitness and education. Prior to teaching, Ylisela worked as a certified fitness instructor and a small-business owner.
- Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images
- Buccina Studios/Photodisc/Getty Images
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images