- Wipe down the cement bench to remove any dirt buildup or cement dust. Regardless of your choice of decorating, starting with a clean bench allows for a smooth finish.
- Add a layer of decoupage on the bench. Select decorative paper, photographs or even cutout words and create a collage. Glue the elements into place with an all-in-one glue and sealer. Allow time for the glue to dry and apply a coat on top of the pictures. Repeat the process. Finish the bench by spraying on a coat of waterproof acrylic sealer.
- Paint the cement bench for the simplest way to decorate the object. Use waterproof acrylic paint designed for outdoor use for a weatherproof option. Apply a single color to the bench, paint a detailed picture or create a bold pattern with multiple colors.
- Add tile to the seat of the bench. Create a mosaic or apply the tiles in a uniform pattern. Use flat tiles like ceramic or glass for the most comfort. Apply a layer of mosaic cement to the surface of the seat. Press your tiles into place in the desired order. Allow time for the cement to dry. Mix up a batch of cement-based grout and use a masonry trowel to spread it between the cracks of the tiles. Wipe off the excess with a damp cloth. Let the tiled surface dry and brush off any dust left behind.
How to Decorate a Cement Bench
A cement bench provides a sturdy yet attractive option for an outdoor space such as a patio, garden or front porch. While the bench may be plain in color and style when first purchased, adding your own decorating flair provides a way to customize it to your liking. Plan your decorative elements to match other yard décor near the cement bench.
Things You Will Need
- How to Tile the Top of an Outdoor Table
- Decorative Painting Ideas for Picnic Tables
- How to Protect an Outdoor Wood Bench
- How to Cover a Fireplace With Tile
- Ideas for Broken Tile Pieces
- How to Lay Tile on an Outdoor Firepit
- How to Kill Mold on Travertine
- How to Tile Over Exterior Concrete
- How to Replace Mosaic Tile on an Outdoor Firepit
- How to Lay Outdoor Tile
- How to Tile Over an Existing Concrete Patio
- How to Build an Outdoor Tile Tabletop
- DIY: Gluing Down Ceramic Tile
- How to Paint Ceramic Tile With Acrylics