- Select a tree. Choose a tree which is viewable from a window but is not too close to your house. It is best if the tree is in a quiet area of the yard so the birds are not frightened when they come to eat.
- Choose a sturdy branch on the side of the tree which faces the house. The branch needs to be at least 5 feet above the ground.
- Set up a ladder underneath the branch. Position the ladder so it does not wobble. Ask another person to hold the ladder while you climb up.
- Hold the string or chain tied to the top of the bird feeder. Slip this over the selected branch. Slide the feeder down the branch until it is 1 to 2 feet away from the tree's trunk. The feeder should be far enough away from the tip of the branch that is in no danger of falling off.
Things You Will Need
- If you have no trees, hang the bird feeder from a shepherd's hook.
- Attract more birds by providing shelter and a bird bath.