How to Make Crystal Sparkle
When cleaned properly, crystal sparkles and does become "crystal clear." Clean crystal glasses, candle holders and vases to make them sparkle the next time you have company over. Glasses tend to get cloudy, candle holders may have wax build-up and vases may be difficult to clean, especially if they have narrow openings. Prevent grime from building up by hand washing your crystal immediately after use. Avoid washing crystal items in the dishwasher because this may cause scratching.
- Put vinegar into a microwave-safe bowl and heat it until it is warm, not hot, to the touch.
- Pour the vinegar into a plastic container.
- Soak two to three glasses in the vinegar for about three minutes. Halfway through the soaking, rotate the glasses so that all the sides are covered.
- Rinse your glasses with water.
- Dry your glasses with a towel that's lint free. If there are any spots left, place a wet finger into baking soda and rub it on the glass, buffing away the spot. Rinse the glass again to make it sparkle.
- Submerge candle holders into a plastic bin filled with hot water to remove wax buildup.
- Scratch off any softened wax with your fingernails. If there are pieces of wax that are a bit difficult, scrub them out with a soft sponge. If the wax begins to harden up, submerge it again in the hot water.
- Wash the candle holder in a mixture of hot water and a few drops of dish soap.
- Rinse the candle holder in water and dry with a lint-free cloth.
- Add two drops of dish soap into the vase and fill the vase halfway with warm water.
- Measure out 2 tbsp. ammonia and add it to the vase.
- Take the uncooked white rice and carefully put it into the vase. Be careful that the ammonia does not splash in your face. If the vase is small, add less rice.
- Move the rice around the vase by rotating the vase in a circular motion.
- Set the vase aside for a few minutes and move the vase in a circular motion again.
- Remove the rice and discard it.
- Rinse the vase inside and out, dry it with a lint-free towel and allow it to air dry by flipping it upside down in a dish rack.