A flat roof is often a choice a homeowner makes because it is inexpensive and easy to construct. Unfortunately, it can make the whole home appear inexpensive.
There are ways to change the appearance of a flat roof by changing things about the home to draw attention away from it, or to make changes to enhance the look of the roof.
- Add onto the home if the home is the shape of a rectangle. A rectangular home combined with a flat roof can make the house look boxy and unattractive. If a room addition is not in the budget, add a patio, trellis or bay window to change the overall shape of your home.
- Extend the flat roof over the edge of the home to create a shaded area or covered living area. This will add depth and dimension to your home as well as provide some additional outdoor living space.
- Paint your flat roof a different color than the rest of the home. This will help to set apart the roof and give it a sense of design. You can also add trim to the roof to make it stand out from the home.
- Surround the home with shrubs, fencing or a wall to create another plane or line to which the eye will be drawn. This will help divert attention away from the plainness of the roof and roof line.
- Add lights, landscape features or any other design elements that will help keep the eye moving to the front of the house and away from the roof line.