Things You Will Need
- Boric acid
- Spray bottle
- Eye protection
Termites are insects that eat wood and cause major damage to your house. Termites look like large, white ants and feed on dead plant matter, including the wood in your house.
If left untreated, termites can wreak havoc on the structure of your house. While you can hire a professional exterminator to come and kill the termites, you can also try to create a cheaper, all-natural solution on your own to repel those pesky insects.
- Purchase boric acid that contains propylene glycol but not sugar. Purchase propylene glycol at an auto shop if you cannot find boric acid that contains it.
- Add powdered boric acid to a spray bottle and add water to create a solution, diluting it so the ratio is 1:1. Shake well before using.
- Put on your gloves and eye protection before you begin spraying the termite solution.
- Spray solution directly onto wood in areas around your house where you want to repel termites.
- Keep pets and plants away from the places you spray with the solution.
- Monitor areas where you have sprayed to make sure the termite infestation hasn't migrated to other sections of your house.
Do not get termite solution on your skin or in your eyes. Do not ingest the termite solution.