Things You Will Need
- Boric acid
- Witch hazel
- Gentian violet
- Glass jar
- Eye dropped
- Cotton ball
- Squeeze bottle
Boric acid is a white powder used in household remedies for cleaning a dog's ears and eliminating pests. The powder works to kill and repel many bugs, such as cockroaches, ants, fleas and termites.
The bugs eat the boric acid, which kills them. It is used in dog`s ears to eliminate any ear mites or other bugs.
Boric acid is mildly toxic, so it is not recommended as a regular cleaner.
Dog Ear Cleaner
- Mix 16 oz. witch hazel, 4 tbsp. boric acid powder and 16 drops gentian violet in a clean glass jar.
- Fill an eyedropper with the solution and slowly squirt it into the pet's ear. Don`t insert the eyedropper too deeply or you could damage the ear.
- Hold the ear closed and massage it at the base to move the solution around. Wipe out the excess with a tissue or cotton ball. Allow the dog to shake its head. This solution can stain, so it`s best to do this outside.
- Mix 1 tbsp. each of boric acid, cornmeal, flour and sugar.
- Put the mixture in a shallow dish and place it behind appliances or wherever there are bugs.
- Add the mixture to a clean squeeze bottle and squirt the powder into cracks and crevices where insects have been seen.