Things You Will Need
- Liquid dye
- Big sink or bucket
- Hot water
- Wooden or plastic spoon
- Warm water
- Cold water
- Chlorine bleach
Sometimes you cannot find what you are looking for in the wide world of shoes. If you have a comfortable pair of tennis shoes that have seen better days, reinvent them with a simple dye project.
In just one day, you can make your trusty pair of sneakers match your favorite pants or a cozy, new sweater. Instead of scanning racks of tennis shoes that will take weeks to break in, make a quick run to the store and buy a dye kit that will transform your sneakers from faded to fabulous.
- Pour hot water into a big bucket or sink. Fill the bucket or sink with enough water to generously cover the shoes.
- Squirt half of the dye bottle into the hot water and stir.
- Remove the shoelaces from the tennis shoes.
- Run hot water over the sneakers and the shoelaces, in another sink, until they are both soaked.
- Place the tennis shoes and shoelaces in the dye bath.
- With a plastic or wooden spoon, stir the tennis shoes and shoelaces around in the dye bath for 30 minutes.
- Drain the dye bath and begin rinsing the shoelaces and tennis shoes in warm water. As the excess dye rinses off, shift to rinsing with cold water.
- Wash the tennis shoes and shoelaces by hand in moderately hot water with a gentle detergent.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Put the dyed tennis shoes and shoelaces out in the sun or in the dryer on low heat until they are completely dry.
- Thoroughly clean the bucket or sink with bleach to prevent stains from the dye.