Things You Will Need
- Cotton balls
- Lemon juice
- Soapy water
- Yogurt carton
- Coffee grounds
- Spray bottle
Using natural products to kill bugs is kind to the environment and protects children and pets. Simply using a spray bottle filled with soapy water will kill many bugs, and you can use a natural soap product for this.
Washing bedding and clothes at a high temperature kills dust mites, while natural products such as lemon juice and coffee grounds repel ants.
- You can kill ants by mixing one liter of water, a cup of sugar, and a teaspoon of borax, which is a natural mineral. Soak cotton balls in the solution, and place them in a small yogurt container. Pierce holes in the lid to allow the ants access, and put the container in a place where ants have been seen. The ants will carry the bait back to their colony, and it will kill them. Use the mixture indoors only, and keep it away from children and pets. Alternatively, spray the ants with soapy water. Deter ants by placing cayenne paper, lemon juice, coffee grounds, or a citrus oil-soaked piece of string at the threshold of the ant colony. The ants will not cross any of these items.
- Dust mites, microscopic bugs that live in beds, furniture, stuffed animals, and clothing, can exacerbate asthma and allergies. The most effective way to kill dust mites is to wash bedding at 55 degrees Celsius or higher. Wash stuffed animals in hot water, and keep them out of a child’s bedroom if she suffers from allergies. Dust problem areas with tannic acid, a natural product available in health food stores and pet shops that neutralizes dust mite allergens.
- Simply spraying cockroaches with soapy water will kill them. Catnip is a natural roach repellent and is nontoxic to people and pets. Cockroaches like high places, so you can kill them by placing boric acid, a natural compound that does not emit toxic odors, on top of your kitchen cabinets, away from children and pets. The roaches will carry the acid back to their nests where it will kill them.
- Bugs that feed on vegetable patches and flowers can be killed with food-grade diatomaceous earth, a chalky powder made of fossilized remains of hard-shelled algae. It is harmful only to slugs and small insects, including bed bugs, fruit flies, earwigs, tomato hornworms, snails, ticks and cockroaches. Diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled on a vegetable patch, flower garden, or in affected areas in the home.
Avoid non food-grade diatomaceous earth. It may contain dangerous impurities.