Things You Will Need
- Live trap
- Bait (peanut butter)
- Work gloves
- Heavy towel
- Glue boards
- Vegetable oil
Chipmunks, members of the squirrel family, are recognized by their brown fur coat with white and black streaks running down their backs. Normally 5 or 6 inches in length, these small mammals weigh approximately 3 oz.
While they typically reside in woods and forest areas, chipmunks can make their homes around houses. They typically burrow under patios or outdoor stairways, but occasionally they may find their way into your home.
Stay calm when trying to usher out your little guest; it probably entered your house by accident and doesn't want to be there.
- Remove all family pets from the house. Shut the door to the room containing the chipmunk to prevent it from moving around the house.
- Bait a live trap with peanut butter and set it in the room. Allow a few hours for the chipmunk to go for the bait. Check on the trap to see if you have caught the chipmunk.
- Place the trap in your car. Drive the chipmunk to a suitable habitat such as a state park or forested area. Set the trap on the ground and release the chipmunk.
Using a Towel
- Get a heavy towel from your linen closet. Put on a pair of thick work gloves.
- Enter the room containing the chipmunk, walk slowly toward it and see if you can drive it into a corner. Keep the towel stretched out in front of your body so the chipmunk isn't spooked by a human form walking toward it.
- Toss the towel over the chipmunk once you get close enough to it. Scoop up the chipmunk in the towel and roll up the towel. Quickly run outside and release the chipmunk before it starts to bite through the towel and gloves.
- Place several glue boards in the area of the chipmunk. Glue boards may be more useful if you cannot corner the chipmunk or if it is in a large area and not confined to a single room.
- Place a spoonful of peanut butter in the center of each glue board. Leave the area for an hour or two.
- Check the glue boards to see if you caught the chipmunk. Quickly take the glue board and chipmunk outside far away from the house. Pour vegetable oil over the chipmunk to free it from the glue board.