How to Make Homemade Mold & Mildew Remover for a Shower

The shower stall is the ideal location for mold and mildew to form since the fungus thrives in damp, warm places. When mold and mildew are left unattended, this member of the fungus family spreads to nearby surfaces and can cause damage.

A mold- and mildew-free shower is a more sanitary place to bathe.

While commercial products are available to remove mold and mildew from your shower, you can do the job effectively and economically with homemade remedies using supplies found in the home. Home remedies are cheaper and also spare you the chemical exposure.

  1. Pour undiluted white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle. Spray mold and mildew stained areas on your shower surface, making sure to completely saturate them with the vinegar spray, then allow the spray to sit on the mold and mildew for 30 minutes. Vinegar is a natural mold and mildew killer and stain remover.

  2. A sponge is gentle enough for all surfaces but cleans effectively.
  3. Apply the vinegar spray to the moldy shower surface again, using just enough to wet the surface. Wet a sponge and scrub the surface to remove the mold and mildew. The mold and mildew will wipe off very easily without the need to use a lot of elbow grease.

  4. Sprinkle baking soda over any stubborn mold- or mildew-stained areas to use it as a mild abrasive. Cover any areas with mold or mildew smell with baking soda so the baking soda can remove the odor. Let the baking soda sit on the shower surface for 15 minutes.

  5. Scrub stubborn stained areas once more then rinse the shower with cool water and towel dry.


Use a ventilating fan or open a window during showers to remove moisture from the bathroom. Substitute undiluted lemon juice to remove mold and mildew from your shower. Keep a bottle of undiluted vinegar in the shower. Spray the surface of the shower after each use and allow the vinegar to dry. This will prevent the return of mold and mildew to your shower.


If mold and mildew persist or odor persists after removing the mold and mildew, call a professional as the mold may have spread inside the walls.