How to Get a Balsamic Vinegar Stain Out of a White Dress Shirt
Although balsamic vinegar complements many kinds of food, it can leave dark, syrupy tannin stains on white dress shirts. Balsamic vinegar stains quickly permeate shirt fabrics, becoming more embedded over time. Since it visually mars white dress shirts, remove the syrupy stain before it sets and becomes insoluble.
Things You Will Need
- White paper towels
- 1 tbsp. distilled vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dish soap
- Washing machine
- 2 oz. chlorine bleach
Blot extremely stubborn balsamic vinegar stains with rubbing alcohol.
Spot-test the homemade solution on the dress shirt to avoid damage.
Blot excess balsamic vinegar off the white dress shirt using white paper towels. Remove as much syrupy gunk as possible.
Rinse the remaining balsamic vinegar stain under cool water. Flush out as much residue as possible.
Pour 1 tbsp. of distilled vinegar and 1/2 tsp. of dish soap into a pail. Fill the pail with 1 qt. of warm water, and then mix the vinegar, dish soap and water with a spoon.
Submerge the stained dress shirt in the solution. Soak the shirt for 15 minutes to dissolve the balsamic vinegar.
Remove the dress shirt from the solution, and rinse the shirt thoroughly under cool water.
Launder the white shirt with 2 oz. of chlorine bleach. Refer to the shirt’s laundry label for water temperature specifications.
Lay the dress shirt flat to air-dry.
The Drip Cap
- Although balsamic vinegar complements many kinds of food, it can leave dark, syrupy tannin stains on white dress shirts.
- Remove as much syrupy gunk as possible.
- of distilled vinegar and 1/2 tsp.
- Remove the dress shirt from the solution, and rinse the shirt thoroughly under cool water.
April Dowling first started writing in high school and has written many news articles for newspaper and yearbook publications. She is currently pursuing a career as an online writer and affiliate marketer. Dowling writes for several websites and keeps many blogs.
- How to Remove Sweat Stains From Polyester
- How to Use Vinegar to Remove Wrinkles From Clothing
- How to Fix a Scorched Collar Tip on a White Dress Shirt
- How to Remove Chocolate Stains from a Tablecloth
- How to Remove Hairspray Stains From Silk
- How to Remove Mineral Deposits That Build Up in a Mr. Coffee Machine