Unscrew and remove the top of a spray bottle. Fill the spray bottle halfway with regular tap water.
Add 15 to 20 drops each of citronella and lemon essential oils to the spray bottle. Use all-natural essential oils, not synthetic oils.
Synthetic fragrance oils are made with various chemicals and only a small amount of natural essential oil. The chemicals in synthetic oils do not have the same effect as natural oils, and they can damage surfaces and cause skin irritation.
Screw the top back on the sprayer. Shake the bottle well to fully blend the oils and the water.
Things You Will Need
- 8-ounce spray bottle
- Citronella essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Use other citrus essential oils, such as lime, instead of citronella.
- Add more essential oil to the sprayer to make the solution stronger. Add a few drops of oil at a time.
- Label your spray bottle. Keep your bottle of citrus repellant in a cool, dry place. Shake it up before every use.
- Spray the solution in corners and areas where spiders are abundant.
- Spray clean cloths with the citrus solution. Wipe down window frames or place the cloths on window ledges to keep spiders out.
- Solutions made with peppermint and spearmint essential oils also repel spiders.