- Go by foot or by bike. Avoid transportation that uses air-polluting fuel whenever possible. Selling a vehicle can be a drastic measure; simply try to carpool or use mass transportation whenever possible. Walking to the store can provide exercise while saving money and being better for the environment. Even doing some of your shopping online is more earth-friendly, while also saving you time.
- Go green when furnishing your home decor. Check out manufacturers that use rapidly renewable resources when building furniture, mattresses, flooring and more. Aesthetically and environmentally pleasing, high-end, stylish green furniture features materials such as reclaimed plastic and nontoxic dyes and stains. When it's time to add a little color to your walls, know that some companies produce low-VOC (volatile organic compound) paint, a safe alternative that still allows you to satisfy your decorating whims.
- Select green, energy-saving appliances on the market to complete any kitchen or laundry space. These appliances are built to conserve water and energy.
- Choose clothing and accessories made from earth-friendly substances. Eco-friendly fashion transformed, offering everything from burlap tunics to hemp sandals. Many clothing labels incorporate natural and recycled fibers such as organic cotton and silk. These are produced without pesticides. Accessories created by using low-impact materials such as bamboo and other sustainable woods have popped up in everything from sunglasses to belts. Even shopping for vintage or antique clothing, linens and accessories that can be purchased at second-hand or specialty stores is a green step forward.
- Recycle paper and plastics from your home. Work with your local waste management company to properly dispose of these materials.
- Shop locally. Avoid the waste of materials and fuel involved in shipping by purchasing locally and bringing items straight home.
How to Live an Eco-Friendly Lifestyle
Celebrities, politicians, designers and others have become ambassadors of green, promoting easy and stylish ways to live their lifestyle while protecting the Earth. Living green is the latest trend, and with so many manufacturers and retailers now offering environmentally friendly products and services, it has never been more "in" to be green. Learn the steps you can take toward an eco-friendly lifestyle.