- Find a spot in your yard to build the hammock. You need two trees that are about 12 to 15 feet apart. Large trees are best for support.
- Figure out how much canvas and rope you will need to purchase by measuring the distance between your trees. For an average size hammock you need 3 1/2 yards of canvas. The amount of rope you need depends on how far apart your trees are. You need three lengths of rope or hammock cord for each side.
- Fold over the ends of the canvas about 3 inches and stitch down the edge with a sewing machine and heavy-duty thread to create end flaps. Insert a 3-inch by 4-foot dowel into each flap.
- Screw in three heavy duty 2-inch eyehooks, evenly spaced, on each dowel. Cut six lengths of rope. Insert one end of the rope into one eyehook. Tie a square knot. Repeat for all six eyehooks and rope lengths.
- Insert 3-inch rings on both of your trees. Place these high enough so that when you get in the hammock you will be off the ground.
- Braid the ends of the rope lengths on one side of the hammock. Insert the end of the braid through the eyehook in the tree. Tie a square knot. Repeat for the other side of the hammock.
How to Build a Homemade Hammock
There is no better activity during the lazy, hazy days of summer than no activity at all. Lying in a hammock in the shade and taking a nap or reading a book is one of summer's greatest pastimes. Build your own homemade hammock so you can enjoy the summer weather in the laziest way possible.
Things You Will Need
- How to Hang a Chair Hammock
- How to Make A Hoist for A Small Flag
- How Can I Hang a Hammock Without Harming the Tree?
- How to Design a Shade Sail
- How Do I Block the Sun on a Windy Patio?
- How to Drill a Hole Through a Tree
- How To Make Your Own Outdoor Swings
- How to Splice Bungee Rope
- How to Make a Removable Awning
- How to Throw a Rope Over a Tree Branch
- Instructions to Macrame a Patio Chair
- How to Make Outdoor Banner Stands
- How to Build a Garden Hammock Arbor (pictures)
- How to Make Party Tents