- Measure the length and width of the window you would like to cover. Multiply the width by 1.5 to determine the necessary width of curtain you need to make. Curtains need to gather and be easily pulled, so extra width will allow the curtain to gather comfortably.
- Depending on the height of your window, determine the length of curtain you would like to create. You will need to add approximately 6 inches of extra length to each panel at the top so it can be folded over to make a pocket for the curtain rod. You can choose to stop the curtain at the bottom of the window, or add extra length to create the illusion of height to the room.
- Gather up your bandanas. These are generally inexpensive and come in a variety of different colors and prints. You can choose to use bandanas you already own, but know that once you have sewn them together as a curtain panel you can no longer use them.
- Arrange your bandanas to create your curtain panel. Once you have decided on the placement for each bandana, you can begin sewing them together using a simple zigzag stitch along the edges. Because the bandanas are premade, there is no need for a hem.
- Fold the top of your curtain panel under 3 inches. Sew along the bottom of the fold to create the pocket for your curtain rod to slide through.
Things You Will Need
- Sewing machine
- Curtain rod
- If you are having difficulty finding enough bandanas to make your curtain panel, consider visiting your local fabric store to find a bandana print fabric. This will require less sewing, but you will have to create your own hem.