- Remove the items stored under your sink to have plenty of room to work.
- Start working by turning off the electricity to the disposal by unplugging the cord from the unit to the outlet.
- Use a screwdriver or socket set to remove the screws that are holding the discharge tube (drain) from the garbage disposer unit. There should be two screws.
- Once the discharge tube is detached, turn it away from the garbage disposal unit so you have more room to work as well as you don't disturb the plumbing. (See picture)
- If you have dishwasher, remove the second tubing from the garbage disposal by untightening the bracket that's holding the tube found on the upper part of the unit. (See picture)
- Disconnect the lower mounting ring from the sink mounting assembly with one hand in a counterclockwise direction while using your other hand to hold the disposer to keep it from falling down.
- Now you have the mounting assembly to take apart. Start loosening the three screws to take out the snap ring.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the snap ring. (See picture).
- Once you removed the snap ring, the mounting ring, back-up ring, and the fiber gasket will come off from the mounting assembly.
- Finally, remove the sink flange by pushing it up through the sink hole.
How to Remove Garbage Disposal from Kitchen Sink
Garbage disposal unit, also known as food waste disposer, waste disposal unit, or garburator is an electrical device installed under a kitchen sink to shred food wastes into small pieces so it passes easily into plumbing. Continuous use of this unit over the years results to wear and tear causing it to leak or to stop functioning properly. The following steps will show you how to remove the unit in preparation for the installation of a new garbage disposal.
Things You Will Need
- How to Restart a Garbage Disposal
- How to Troubleshoot My InSinkErator 333
- My Magic Chef Dishwasher Won't Drain
- How to Install a 555SS InSinkErator
- How to Disconnect a Mixer Tap From a Sink
- How to Take Off a Toilet Tank
- How to Install a Kitchen Sink With a Disposal
- How to Replace a Kitchen Sink Flange
- Can I Retrieve Something I Dropped Down My Garbage Disposal or Is It Lost Forever?
- How to Remove the Impeller on a Maytag Dishwasher
- How to Replace a Whirlpool Dishwasher Soap Dispenser
- How to Remove a Hampton Bay Flush Mount Ceiling Fan
- My Air Conditioner Stopped Working After Making a Popping Sound
- How to Recycle Dead Batteries