How to Remove an Oil Stain from Vinyl Flooring?
Oil stains can happen from spilled liquid on stoves or tracked in after working on a vehicle. This can cause damage the vinyl material. It is important to clean up moist spills right away so the oil does not dry on the flooring. However, this is not always possible. There are cleaning solutions that you can use to remove oil stains from your vinyl flooring. These include Stain-X, Blue Magic Leather & Vinyl Cleaner and Motsenbocker's Lift-Off. But, you can use any cleaning product that is safe on vinyl as well as removes oil stains.
- Run warm water to moisten the sponge. Wring out any excess water.
- Wipe the oil stain. This will remove some of the oil, especially if the spill is still damp. Wring the sponge out under the warm water. Repeat once.
- Spray two or three squirts of the vinyl cleaning solution on the stain. If you have a pour spout, use roughly a nickel-size amount of cleaner. Cover the stain completely with the vinyl cleaning solution. Wait for the cleaner to set into the oil stain. This may take around 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the residue.
- Dip the sponge into the warm water again. Squeeze out the surplus moisture. Rub the oil stain in a circular motion. Wring out the sponge frequently. Go over the area until entirely clean.
- Continue steps 3 and 4 until the oil stain is gone. Dry thoroughly with a soft towel.
Things You Will Need
- Vinyl cleaner
- As the instructions may differ on your specific brand of cleaner, read the label.
- Keep all cleaning solutions away from pets and children. Test a hidden area for changes in color on the vinyl.