- Combine the soap with a bucketful of water, following the directions on the package. Scrub the metal siding down using a scrub brush. Rinse off all soap. The cleaner the siding is the better, the primer will stick. Wait a few days for the siding to dry completely.
- Combine 1 pint paint thinner for every 1 gallon of primer. Mix well. Follow the instructions on the primer can. Make sure the temperature is not above or below the recommended temperatures.
- Once the primer has dried, paint the metal siding with your exterior acrylic latex house paint. Make sure you do this within 48 hours of painting the primer. Make sure the temperature is not above or below the recommended temperatures.
Things You Will Need
- Powdered soap
- Scrub brush
- Oil-based metal primer
- Paint thinner
- 100-percent acrylic latex exterior house paint
- Some old paint might wash off when scrubbing down the siding. This is normal. Do not paint in direct sunlight or in windy weather. The paint needs to dry slowly.