How to Install Caps on Exterior Porch Columns
Porch columns come in many different types and designs that you can use to enhance the look of your home. Many types of columns come prefabricated that you can install yourself or you can hire a professional to do the job. Porch columns, when they are put into place, need to have the porch cap installed before they are secured.
- Place the cap for the column over the top of the column shaft. Let the cap slide down the column shaft temporarily until it can be secured.
- Set the column so it sits vertically under the porch overhang. Make sure the column is sitting correctly in the base.
- Slide the column cap up the column shaft to check the placement of the cap. Pre-drill holes to secure the cap using a power drill if the cap does not already have pre-drilled holes.
- Attach the column cap to the soffit or underside of the porch overhang. Place screws in the pre-drilled holes and secure them using a power drill.
- Run a bead of caulk between the cap and the column post. This will add a clean and finished look to the column.
Things You Will Need
- Power drill
- Caulk gun
- Use galvanized or stainless steel screws that will not rust.
- If you do not pre-drill holes into the base, securing screws will be more difficult.
- How do I Install a Metal Roofing Around Whirlybird Vents?
- How to Remove Grease Stains From Ceramic Tile
- How to Seal a Brick House to Prevent Mold, Mildew, and Moisture
- How to Use a Single-Hole Faucet in an 8-Inch Spread, 3-Hole Sink
- How to Clean Lime From Coffee Pots
- How to Repair a Split Rail Fence