Build your light weight wooden gate
Lay eight of the 4 foot long cedar pickets side by side on a flat working surface (preferable a large workbench). These pickets will be the vertical pickets on your gate. Measure 10 inches from the bottom and make a light horizontal line using your carpenter pencil and your level across all of the pickets.
Repeat the measure and pencil mark from the top edge across all pickets.
Lay two more of the pickets across the other eight. These will be horizontal when you install the gate. Cut them for length to match the width of your gate. The pencil marks that where made previously on the vertical pickets define the attachment location.
Attach the last picket out of the 11 that you purchased to create a "Z" support between the two horizontal pieces. Simply lay the last picket at an angle that covers all of the vertical pickets and mark a line to cut the last piece. Cut it to fit and attach with the 1 inch wood screws at each vertical picket.
Attach the hinges at each one of the horizontal pickets using the screws that are supplied with the hardware. The other side of the hinges are attached to a fixed post installed in the ground or possibly to the side of your house.
The gate latch is installed on the top horizontal piece. The gate latch has two separate parts to it, the pin is installed on the gate while pin eyelet is installed on the post opposite the hinges.
Things You Will Need
- Cordless drill
- Drill bit set
- Screw driver tips
- Measuring tape
- Screw drivers
- Circular Saw or Hand Saw
- Speed Square
- Carpenter's Pencil
- Cedar Pickets, 4 foot long 5 inches wide
- Wood Screws, exterior grade 1 inch long
- Gate Hinges
- Gate Latch
- Build this gate using standard size materials. It will make the project much easier and require less cutting.
- Use your level to properly install your new gate in the opening to make sure it is plumb and level.
- Attach the hardware using manufacture's recommended and supplied fasteners. The hardware choices are endless so choose what suits the project.