- Locate the two water pipes that connect to the softener. One carries the water into the tank; the other carries it out. Located near the softener is a third pipe that runs between the inflow and outflow pipes and connects them to each other. It has a knob on one end.
- Push the knob in towards the pipes to stop the flow of water into the softener. If you do not have a valve with a knob as described, proceed to step 3.
- Look for a pipe running between the inlet and outlet pipes that has a handle in the center. Twist the handle on the valve bypass counterclockwise to open the bypass. Between it and the softener, the inlet and outlet pipes also have handles to control water flow. Shut them by twisting the handles clockwise. Water will now flow through the open bypass pipe, not into the water softener. If you have no valve bypass, proceed to step 4.
- Look on the tank for a button on the side or near the top labeled "Water Bypass" or something similar, and follow any instructions it might give. If you find no water bypass, proceed to step 5.
- Shut off the main water supply to the house to stop the flow of water into the softener tank.
How to Put My Water Softener in Bypass
Water softeners operate by directing all water entering a home, either from a public system or a well, to run through the softener, which removes the minerals, such as calcium, magnesium or iron from the home water supply. At times it is necessary to stop the flow of water into the softener, most often to repair or service the water softener. Use of a bypass valve allows water to continue to flow into the home and to "bypass" the water softener.
- How to Find a Sewer Leak
- How to De-winterize Your Plumbing
- How to Set the Temperature on an Atwood Water Heater
- How to Fix a Leaking Caroma Slimline Cistern
- How to Connect to PEX for a Water Shutoff
- How to Turn Off a Water Valve
- How to Troubleshoot an Ice Maker Water Valve
- How to Install Pegasus Faucets
- How to Locate an Underground Water Pressure Regulator
- How to Troubleshoot Codes on a Laars Lite 2
- How to Change an OmniFilter
- How to Connect a Water Line to a Kenmore Elite Refrigerator
- What Is the Meaning of Control Valve Cv?
- Fixing a Delta Shower With Low Water Pressure