How to Fix a Ionic Breeze That Makes a Spark Sound
The Ionic Breeze is an electronic air purifier manufactured by The Sharper Image. The appliance creates an electrostatic charge to draw in dust and microscopic contaminants in the air for a fresher, cleaner smelling room free of harmful airborne particles. Depending on frequency of use, over time the Ionic Breeze may start to make a sparking or buzzing sound. This is the signal that the purifier filter needs cleaning. Once the filter is clean and reinstalled, the buzzing or sparking sound will stop.
Unplug the Ionic Breeze from the wall outlet.
Grab the handle on top of the appliance and pull straight up to remove the attached filter, which is a pair of metal strips spaced about two inches apart.
Wipe down both side of each metal strip with a clean microfiber cloth dampened in water. The cloth becomes discolored with gray and black smudges, which are the accumulated dirt and dust drawn into the purifier over time.
Wipe down both metal edges on the filter with a dry cloth, then reinstall the filter in the Ionic Breeze by inserting vertically in the appliance and lowering until the assembly clicks into place.
- Keep the Ionic Breeze off and unplugged while cleaning the filter.
James Clark began his career in 1985. He has written about electronics, appliance repair and outdoor topics for a variety of publications and websites. He has more than four years of experience in appliance and electrical repairs. Clark holds a bachelor's degree in political science.
- How to Replace an Oven Heating Element in My Kenmore Stove
- How to Repair a Honeywell Air Purifier
- How to Restore Vintage Emerson Electric Fans
- Electric Range Burner Temperature Control Troubleshooting
- How to Remove a Thermador MBBS from a SMW272
- How to Change the Water Filter on a Whirlpool Refrigerator Model ED5VHEXVB01