How to Fix a Front Load Washer Water Pump
When the washer will not spin or pump water out generally the water pump needs to be replaced. Before you call the repairman, try fixing a front load washer water pump yourself. The washing machine is not as difficult to repair as you may think, and the water pump is quite accessible once you where to look for it.
Before starting any repairs, unplug the washer and move it away from the wall for access.
Remove the toe panel from the front of the washer. It is the panel directly under the front panel. There are three screws toward the bottom of the panel. Remove them with a screwdriver, lift and pull the toe panel forward to release it.
The water pump assembly is directly below the wash tub in the middle of the unit. It is easily recognized by the two hoses going to it. Disconnect the wiring harness from the water pump by pressing in on the tab and pulling out.
Remove the screw that mounts the water pump to the frame of the washer.
Disconnect the tub outlet and the drain hose by unscrewing the clamps.
Remove the pump from the washer. Inspect the pump's filter located where the hose connects. Before removing the filter, place a bucket under the pump because there will be water. Make sure that nothing is stuck in the filter. Inspect the pump and outlet hose as well for obstructions.
If there are no obstructions and the water pump itself is faulty, purchase a new pump of the same size. Most local appliance repair businesses will either have the part you need or be able to direct you to someone local. The water pump can be ordered online as well from a company such as PartsSelect.com.
Reconnect the hoses to the water pump and remount the pump to the washer frame.
Reconnect the wiring harness and reattach the toe panel by snapping it into place and reattaching the mounting screws.
Things You Will Need
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Flat-head screwdriver
- If obstructions were found, try removing them and reattaching the existing water pump. If it still does not work then you need a new pump.
- Always disconnect power from appliances before servicing them.
- How to Remove the Pump from a Whirlpool Dishwasher
- How to Remove Coins Stuck Inside a Front-Load Washer
- How to Change the Water Valve on an Amana Washer
- How to Replace the Pump in a Kenmore Washing Machine
- How to Open the Control Panel on a Whirlpool Washer
- How to Remove a Float Switch From a Kenmore Dishwasher