- Vacuum any loose dirt up using your vacuum cleaner. If the stain is brand new, you will remove a good portion of the stain this way and make the rest of the cleanup easier.
- Squirt shaving cream--the white foamy type, not a colorful gel--directly onto the black dirt stain. Allow the shaving cream to soak into the stain.
- Dampen a cotton cloth, and blot at the stain. Continue to blot until the stain area is wet from the shaving cream and water. Allow the shaving cream and dampness from the cloth to sit on the stain for a few minutes to loosen the dirt from the carpet fibers.
- Mix a few drops of laundry detergent and some water in your bucket, enough to fill the bucket 1/4 full.
- Scrub the stain with a soft-bristle scrub brush dipped in the soapy solution. Don't scrub too hard as this can damage the carpet fibers. A light scrubbing loosens the dirt further.
- Dip a clean cotton cloth into the soapy solution. Blot it against the stain. The stain should begin to transfer to the cotton cloth. Move to a clean part of the moistened cloth, and continue to blot until there's no more transfer.
- Rinse the area thoroughly by using a clean dampened cloth to blot up the soapy residue.
Things You Will Need
- Vacuum cleaner
- Shaving cream
- Cotton cloths
- Laundry detergent
- Soft-bristle scrub brush
- Tackle any remaining stain with a commercial carpet cleaner.