How to Calculate the Cubic Board Meter
The cubic board meter (CBM) is a unit of measure for lumber used in countries where the metric system is standard. In the United States, board feet (BF) is used. Calculate your CBM from BF using a conversion factor. Because a board foot is so much smaller than a CBM, the calculation is usually done from a thousand board feet (MBF) to CBM. Thus, it is best to first convert your lumber measurement from BF to MBF, and calculate the CBM from there.
Take your measurement in BF and divide it by 1,000 to get MBF. For example, if your measurement is 12,000 BF, you would have 12 MBF.
Multiply your MBF by 2.36 to get the amount in CBM. In this example, 12 MBF equals 28.32 CBM.
Calculate CBM from MBF quickly by multiplying CBM by 0.4238, so 10 CBM is 4.238 MBF.
Bill Brown has been a freelance writer for more than 14 years. Focusing on trade journals covering construction and home topics, his work appears in online and print publications. Brown holds a Master of Arts in liberal arts from St. John's University and is currently based in Houston.
- lumber image by jimcox40 from Fotolia.com
- How to Anchor a 2 X 4 to Sheetrock
- How to Calculate Storage Space Using Linear Feet
- How to Clean Stainless Steel With Lemon Juice & Baking Soda
- How to Remove the Back Filter Cover From a Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- How to Convert R-Values to K-Values
- How to Decode a Craftsman Lathe Serial Number